Published By: Amacom, Inc.
David T. Scott
Robert S. Lindsay
About the Book
The New Rules of Lead Generation is a comprehensive guide to lead-generation marketing for large to mid-sized corporations. Written by CEO and marketing expert David T. Scott, this book takes an in-depth look at strategies and tactics that corporations can use to develop successful lead-generation marketing campaigns.
Lead-generation marketing is the art of getting a potential customer to “raise their hand” and say they are interested in your company’s products or services. Lead-generation marketing uses a variety of tactics (direct mail, e-mail marketing, Search Engine Marketing, etc.) to reach out to customers and “sign them up” as leads that could potentially be turned into sales.
If brand marketing is the “face” that a company offers to the general public (through TV commercials, billboards, etc.), then lead-generation marketing is the “backbone” of a company’s marketing efforts. For many organizations, lead-generation marketing is the unseen power behind the company’s marketing success. It’s estimated that 85 to 90% of all companies use some kind of lead-generation marketing.
And yet, lead-generation marketing is one of the least understood forms of marketing. Most university or college MBA programs don’t offer a course on lead-generation marketing, preferring to concentrate on brand marketing. Few marketing executives have a real understanding of lead-generation marketing, or how to use it to their advantage.
The New Rules of Lead Generation is a first-of-its-kind book, the first book to really take an in-depth look at lead-generation marketing from a corporate standpoint. Many corporate CMOs and Marketing Directors will tell you they have been looking for a book like this for a long time.
Outline of the Book
The book is divided into two parts. In Part One, David T. Scott talks about how to lay the foundations of a successful lead-generation marketing campaign. Subjects covered in Part One include:
- An overview of lead-generation marketing, and how it fits into the marketing world.
- A look at how companies define leads – whether a “lead” is an actual sale, or a “customer action” (i.e. getting the customer to download a white paper) that allows the company to sign them up as a lead.
- How to develop an overall lead-generation strategy and set goals for your lead-generation campaigns.
- How to test and measure your results to determine the success of your lead-generation efforts.
- A basic five-step tactical strategy that can be adapted and used with any of the seven most successful lead-generation tactics.
- How to calculate costs and determine the cost effectiveness of your lead-generation efforts, and how to determine your Return On Marketing Investment (ROMI).
Part Two of the book takes an in-depth look at the seven most successful lead-generation tactics. These include:
- Search Engine Marketing – Advertising on Google and Bing.
- Social Media Advertising – Advertising on the “Big Three” social media sites – Facebook, LinkedIn, and Twitter.
- Display Advertising – Advertising on websites and mobile devices using display ads.
- E-mail Marketing – How to develop an e-mail marketing campaign, and how to make sure your marketing e-mails are not mistaken for spam.
- Direct Mail – How and when to use this expensive but effective “old school” tactic.
- Cold Calling – How to develop a cold calling campaign that won’t come across as telemarketing.
- Trade Shows – How to attend trade shows as a vendor, and how to get the most out of your trade show displays and experience.
The final chapter of the book looks at how to combine multiple tactics in a successful, integrated lead-generation campaign.
About The Author
David T. Scott is the founder and CEO of Marketfish, Inc, a Seattle/New York company that provides list marketing services for lead-generation marketers. A graduate of the Wharton School of Business, David has served as CMO and Director of Marketing for Fortune 500 companies and billion-dollar organizations, including GE, AT & T Wireless, PeopleSoft, and Intermec. While serving at these companies, David developed a set of strategies designed to help Marketing organizations increase their lead-generation results. He now shares these strategies in The New Rules of Lead-Generation.